Christ Church, Duns and its buildings [The buildings are temporarily closed during the Pandemic]
This is an historic church in excellent condition in a region with a long Christian history. Dunse was the birthplace of John Duns Scotus (1266–1308) and his theology and philosophy continues to be respected (most recently with a three-month festival in 2016 run with the local churches, and history and community groups).
The recent Quinquennial Review of 2017 confirmed that the fabric of the church is cared for and has been well maintained over many years; work is up to schedule, and no major expenditure is foreseen as being necessary soon. A loop system was installed around 1993 to help the hard of hearing and has recently been updated. The nave was recently re-carpeted. A glass entrance door has recently been installed and now provides a clear view of the nave to anyone arriving at the main entrance of the church.
The seating is in the form of fixed pews that were probably installed as part of the design of the church in 1854. To provide more internal space and seating for wheelchairs and the like, several free-standing chairs have been installed. The removal of a few pews at the back of the church has freed up space at the West end of the church for refreshments after services and at concerts. The original pews have been stored at Duns Castle in the interim.
The heating and lighting are generally satisfactory; the heating is by electrical convector heaters around the outside walls inside the church. Vestry is exploring the possibility of controlling lighting and heating remotely through an App such as The Hive.
In addition to a vestry room for the use of serving clergy, toilet, and basic kitchen, there are two other main rooms attached to the church. One room, an upper choir gallery, was enclosed before 2000, and is currently being used as the church office by the part-time administrator. It is complete with internet and telephones and the usual office facilities.
The second room, known as the School Room or Church Room, has recently been refurbished and the floor replaced. This is proving to be an excellent space for meetings, Sunday School and other activities. The room can be hired by outside bodies. Sketch plans were prepared before 2000 to improve the kitchen and toilet and to address the question of disabled access